Bruno Corrêa Burini joined the Firm in 2013 and became partner in 2018. He is the responsible for the Brasília Office and coordinates the Public Law litigation practice group, with focus on bids, concessions, regulated markets, competition law and compliance / improbity / anti-corruption issues, with extensive experience in Superior Courts. Mr. Burini has a wide breadth of experience in the government relations group acting before the Executive and Legislative Powers, in addition to contributing to the Tax Law Group. He was, for 5 years, advisor to the Minister of the Superior Court of Justice (Public Law session) and advisor to the Presidency of CADE (The Administrative Council for Economic Defense).
Awards and Recognitions
Bruno Correa Burini has been recognized for his work as experienced lawyer in litigation and energy by the main legal directories such as Chambers Latin America, LACCA Approved and Análise Advocacia 500.
He graduated from University of São Paulo with a degree in Law and holds a master’s degree and a doctorate degree in Law from the University of São Paulo. He was a guest researcher at Università degli Studi di Milano.
Activities outside the office
Mr. Burini is a professor at the University of Brasília in Law (Procedural Law) and a member of the Competition Law Commission of the Federal Council of the Brazilian Bar Association; member of the Higher Courts Committee of the Brazilian Bar Association – Sectional of the Federal District; Coordinator of the Superior Courts Commission and member of the Government Relations Committee of the Center for the Study of Law Firms; member of the Brazilian Institute of Procedural Law; member of the Center for Advanced Process Studies and member of the Brasilia’s Association of Civil Procedural Law.
Author/co-author of several books/articles, such as:
– Efeitos Civis da Sentença Pena – atualizado conforme a reforma processual, São Paulo, Atlas, 2007;
– “O art. 285-A do Código de Processo Civil” in Direito processual civil, São Paulo, Quartier Latin, 2007.
– “Pedido de falência em casos de frustração da tutela executiva”, in Execução civil e cumprimento da sentença – questões controvertidas, São Paulo, Método, 2006;
– “Normas processuais no Código Civil – e a disciplina da prova legal”, in Revista do Instituto dos Advogados de São Paulo, ano 8, n. 16, julho-dezembro de 2005, p. 92;
– Manual de Direito Processual Civil, Enrico Tulio Liebman (transl. Cândido Rangel Dinamarco), Malheiros, São Paulo, 2005 (Book revision – contribution).
Portuguese, English and Italian.
Representative matters and clients
– Petrochemical industry – “Lula – Cernambi” case in discussions on how to pay government stakes;
– Follow on lawsuits derived from alleged cartels (“Cartel dos Genéricos”, “Cartel dos Gases”, “Cartel do Metrô”);
– Actions related to the port sector (“THC2 Case”);
– Agribusiness (discussion of tax incentives for entities in the sector) ; – Public / impropriety civil actions derived from Federal Police Operations, in coordination with the Criminal Law team.
Brazilian Federal Attorneys’ Office (AGU) established criteria for appointment of arbitrators by the Federal Union in arbitrations
In brief After the Reform of the Brazilian Arbitration Law, Federal Union and other Federal institutions have been increasingly participating in arbitrations, a great number of which involve high values and/or sensitive issues. There were doubts as to which criteria the Federal Union could adopt to choose arbitrators, which is regulated by this new ruling, […]
Supreme Court decides the Federal Court of Accounts is not fit to exercise control of constitutionality in Brazil
After the ruling session concluded last Monday (4.12.2021), the Supreme Court ruled by majority (9×2) that the Federal Court of Accounts is not allowed to review the constitutionality of laws and normative acts in Brazil. With that in consideration, the Court surpassed the Precedent 347, edited in 1963, that previously authorized this type of review […]
Brazilian Senate approves the final version of the bill for the new public procurement general law
In breaf Yesterday the Brazilian Senate approved the final text of the bill of a new public procurement general law, which will substitute Law nº 8,666/1993 (“New Public Procurement Law“). The final document will now be submitted to Brazilian President for signature and/or vetoes. More details As previously reported, Brazilian Senate approved on December, 2020 […]
Public Consultation regarding abusive action by federal regulators
Last Wednesday, the Advocacy and Competition Law Secretariat of the Ministry of Economy (“SEAE”) published the Public Consultation no. 02/2021, through which it seeks to receive contributions on potential abusive or excessive actions by federal regulators. The contributions will be used by SEAE to develop a public policy proposal that helps and directs the activities […]