Joaquim de Paiva Muniz joined the Firm in 1999 and became partner in 2006. He coordinates the Arbitration practice in the Dispute Resolution practice group. Mr. Muniz has also a wide breadth of experience in M&A, Corporate Law, infrastructure projects and mining regulation.
Passed New York State Bar Association.
Awards and Recognitions
Joaquim de Paiva Muniz has been recognized for his work in Arbitration by the main legal directories such as Chambers Global e Latin America for three years in a row since 2018, LACCA Approved, IFLR 1000, Latin Lawyer 250, Leaders' League evaluated "Excellent", The Legal 500, Who's Who Legal and Análise Advocacia 500.
He graduated from the Rio de Janeiro State University (UERJ) and has an LL.M. at the University of Chicago.
Activities outside the office
Mr. Muniz is Professor of Arbitration, M&A and Corporate Law at graduate courses, Member of the commission which is drafting the New Brazilian Commercial Code, Head of the Arbitration Commission of the Rio de Janeiro Bar, Member of the Advisory Council (Conselho Secccional) of the Rio de Janeiro Bar, Member of the Arbitration Commission of the Federal Bar (Head of the Committee of Heads of Arbitration Commissions), Director of the Arbitration and Mediation Center of Rio de Janeiro - CBMA, Member of the Advisory Council of SIAC (Singapore Int. Arbitration Center), General Secretary of the BRICS Countries Commission of the Federal Bar, Member of the list of arbitrators of the following institutions: CAM-CCBC, CPR, ICDR, CIESP. CBMA, CAMARB and CAMFIEP and Coordinator of the team of counsel that represented pro bono athletes in sports arbitration during the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- "Arbitration Law of Brazil: Practice and Procedure". Juris Publishing (New York - USA), 1st edition 2006, 2nd edition 2016.
- "Curso Básico de Direito Arbitral" (Handbook on Arbitration). Juruá Publishing (Curitiba - Brazil), 1st edition 2014, 6th edition 2020.
- "Curso Prático de Direito Arbitral" (Practical Guide on Arbitration). Amazon Publishing, 1st edition 2020.
- "Arbitragem Trabalhista" (Labor Arbitration). Migalhas (São Paulo - Brazil), 1st edition 2020. (Co-author).
- Arbitragem Doméstica e Internacional" (Domestic and International Arbitration). Forense Publishing (Rio de Janeiro - Brazil), 2008 (Co-author and editor)
- "Arbitragem e Mediação - Temas Controvertidos" (Arbitration and Mediation: Controversial Themes). Forense Publishing (Rio de Janeiro - Brazil), 2014. (Co-author and editor)
- "Reforma da Lei de Arbitragem - Comentários" (Reform of the Arbitration Law). Published by the Brazilian Federal Bar, 2016. (Co-author and editor).
- "20 Anos da Lei de Arbitragem- Comentários" (20 Years of the Brazilian Arbitration Law). Published by the Brazilian Federal Bar, 2016. (Co-author and editor).
- "Arbitragem e Administração Pública" (Arbitration and Public Administration). Migalhas (Rio de Janeiro - Brazil), 2018. (Co-author and editor).
- "Memórias do Desenvolvimento da Arbitragem no Brazil" (Memories of the Development of Arbitration in Brazil). Published by the Brazilian Federal Bar, 2018. ( Co-author and editor)
Representative matters and clients
Most relevant arbitration cases:
- Represented client in an over US$10 Billion arbitration regarding the concession of oil exploration and production areas.
- Represented client in an over US$1 Billion arbitration regarding a financial institution fraud related to a bank acquisition;
- Represented client in CCI arbitration involving more than US$350M regarding construction of platforms;
- Represented a US investor in four arbitrations involving over US$300M before the Chamber Brazil-Canada regarding joint ventures in Brazil;
- Represented a Japanese client in a US$300M construction arbitration.
- Represented a client in ad hoc arbitration involving more than US$300M regarding a thermoelectric power plant;
- Represented Brazilian and international clients in construction arbitration involving more than US$200M before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in a US$200M ad hoc arbitration regarding supply of gases;
- Represented a US investor in a US$150M arbitration before ICC regarding a joint venture in Brazil;
- Represented a Brazilian client in ad hoc arbitration involving US$100M regarding supply of gases;
- Coordinator of the teams of pro bono counsels representing athletes in sports arbitrations during the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- Represented several clients, including both owners and contractors, in many construction arbitrations before Brazilian arbitration chambers.
Most relevant M&A cases and major projects cases:
- Represented an Asian company in a US$1 Billion joint venture in mining/steel making in Brazil;
- Represented the foreign owner in a US$600M sale of mining rights;
- Represented a Brazilian iron ore company in a US$440M sale of mining rights;
- Represented foreign investment funds in a US$400M private placement regarding a Brazilian mining company;
- Drafting of construction documents for a large mining project in the countryside of Brazil;
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in a US$350M sale of a thermo plant in Brazil;
- Represented foreign investment funds in very large private placement regarding a Brazilian oil & gas company;
- Represented US investment funds in a US$200M joint ventures regarding electric power distribution;
- Represented the foreign buyer in a US$130M acquisition of Brazilian industrial package companies;
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in several joint ventures regarding ethanol and biodiesel projects; - Represented several U.S. investors in ethanol and biodiesel investments in Brazil.