Joaquim de Paiva Muniz is recognized as a leading individual in arbitration and M&A by publications such as Chambers. He is author of books and many articles regarding arbitration and corporate law, being a professor of such subjects. He is a director of the Rio de Janeiro Bar and head of its Arbitration Commission
Mr. Muniz is proficient in arbitration, infrastructure projects, mergers and acquisitions. He also provides legal advice to clients on mining and oil & gas transactions, as well as project finance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Most relevant arbitration cases:
- Represented client in an over US$10 Billion arbitration regarding the concession of oil exploration and production areas.
- Represented client in an over US$1 Billion arbitration regarding a financial institution fraud related to a bank acquisition.
- Represented a Dutch energy company in a US$400M ICC arbitration regarding the construction of oil platforms.
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in a US$300M ad hoc arbitration regarding a thermoelectric power plant.
- Represented an US investor in four arbitrations involving over US$300 M before the Chamber Brazil-Canada regarding joint ventures in Brazil.
- Represented a Japonese equipment supplier in a US$300M construction arbitration before FGV.
- Represented an US owner in a US$200M construction arbitration before ICC.
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in a US$200 M ad hoc arbitration regarding supply of gases.
- Represented an US investor in a US$150 M arbitration before ICC regarding a joint venture in Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in a US$100 M local chamber arbitration regarding supply of gases.
- Coordinator of the teams of pro bono counsels representing athletes in sports arbitrations during the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- Represented several clients, including both owners and contractors, in many construction arbitrations before Brazilian arbitration chambers.
Most relevant M&A cases and major projects cases:
- Represented an Asian company in a US$1 Billion joint venture in mining/steel making in Brazil.
- Represented the foreign owner in a US$600 M sale of mining rights.
- Represented a Brazilian iron ore company in a US$440M sale of mining rights.
- Represented foreign investment funds in a US$400M private placement regarding a Brazilian mining company.
- Drafting of construction documents for a large mining project in the countryside of Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in a US$350M sale of a thermo plant in Brazil.
- Represented foreign investment funds in very large private placement regarding a Brazilian oil & gas company.
- Represented US investment funds in a US$200 M joint ventures regarding electric power distribution.
- Represented the foreign buyer in a US$130M acquisition of Brazilian industrial package companies.
- Represented a Brazilian energy company in several joint ventures regarding ethanol and biodiesel projects;
- Represented several U.S. investors in ethanol and biodiesel investments in Brazil.
News, Events and Publications
- Author of the book "Curso de Direito Arbitral" (Arbitration Law Course), Juruá
- Co-author, book "Arbitration Law of Brazil: Practice and Procedure", Juris Publishing.
- Co-author, book "Memórias do Desenvolvimento da Arbitragem no Brazil" (Memories of the Development of Arbitration in Brazil", published by the Federal Bar (Conselho Federal da OAB),
- Organizer, "Arbitragem Doméstica e Internacional" (Domestic and International Arbitration), Editora Forense.
- Organizer, "Arbitragem e Mediação - Temas Controvertidos" (Arbitration and Mediation: Controversial Themes), Editora Forense.
- Organizer, "Reforma da Lei de Arbitragem- Comentários" (Reform of the Arbitration Law), published by the Federal Bar (Conselho Federal da OAB).
- Organizer, "Manual de Arbitragem" (Arbitration Handbook), published by the Federal Bar (Conselho Federal da OAB).
- Organizer, "20 Years of Brazilian Arbitration Law", published by the Federal Bar (Conselho Federal da OAB).
- Coordinator of the Arbitration Graduate Course of the Rio de Janeiro Bar.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Brazilian Bar - member of the Board of Directors of the Rio de Janeiro Section
Chairman of the Arbitration Commission of the Brazilian Bar - Rio de Janeiro Section
Member of the Arbitration Commission of the Brazilian Bar
Member of Users Council of SIAC (Singapore International Arbitration Center)
Brazilian Arbitration Committee (CBAR) - Director for Rio de Janeiro (2012-2014)
Director of the Brazilian Mediation and Arbitration Center Member of the list of arbitrators of CAM-CCBC, FIESP, CBMA, CAMARB and CAMFIEP and of the list of dispute board members for the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games.
Member of the Brazilian Institute of Lawyering (IAB)
Certified in legal project management
Coordinator of the pro bono arbitration counsels at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Certified mediator. CFO of the BRaziian branch of CIARB.
University of Chicago (LL.M.) (1999)
University of the State of Rio de Janeiro (J.D.) (1996)