Bruno Alves Duarte joined the firm in 2012 and became partner in 2022. He is a member of the Public and Regulatory Law – Projects and Ventures group and is a specialist in infrastructure projects, public and regulatory law, and governmental matters. He advises clients in consultations, disputes, deals, and diverse industry-related transactions, in infrastructure projects and cases that involve public entities and regulatory agencies. Bruno has extensive experience advising clients in administrative and judicial proceedings related to several areas of law, especially in cases involving public entities and regulatory agencies or infrastructure projects. He works especially in the complete conduct of project implementation, including negotiation and contracts between partners, coordination of due diligence, participation in bidding processes, signing and management of government contracts. It also prepares legal opinions and responds to consultations on areas of expertise, including public tenders and government contracts, concessions, public-private partnership agreements, feasibility and development of infrastructure projects, and international project documentations.
Bruno has one year of experience working in-house for a Japanese trading company and another year and a half working on large energy, mining and infrastructure projects, working as a lawyer at Ablfs McKfnzif’s Tokyo office, where he had experience with multi-jurisdictional contracts for relevant projects, including in the areas of energy, construction (EPC and EPCM) and infrastructure in general.
Duarte graduated from the Universidade de Brasília with a degree in law and went on to obtain a master’s degree in legal-political sciences with a mention in constitutional law from the Universidade de Coimbra (2012).
Representative matters and clients
- Advised, from the internal decisions (as in-house) to the end of the operation (as external), one of the largest Trading Companies in Japan in its first large investment in Brazil, through the acquisition of a grain logistics company, including warehouses and participation in a port terminal, integrating the logistics operation from origination to final export – approximate value: US$ 220 million.
- Assisted in the merger of the international assets of two of the largest Japanese energy developers. The transaction involved more than 20 energy companies around the world and won the “Energy and Resources Deal of the Year Award – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016”.
- Assisted IT industry client in leading case before the Federal Court of Audit, working on the reversal of a decision related to the legality of the client’s distributor sales model – in a case that could impact several industries (in progress).
- Assisted client in matters related to a Parliamentary Inquiry Committee, including drafting communications to authorities, preparing and supporting the client before and during the hearing.
- Constantly advising client on several renewable energy projects (wind and solar), including coordination of due diligences, drafting and negotiation of relevant contracts, and participation in bidding processes for energy contracts.
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Recognition: Leaders League 2024 — Transactions and Deals
The Leaders League, an important international publication in the legal and financial markets, has released the results of the first cycle of the 2024 edition called Transactions and Deals. We have been recognized in 19 practices (two more than last year) and have had 30 lawyers recognized (compared to 22 last year), several of them […]
1993 Public Procurement Law will not be revoked until 29 December 2023
In brief On March 31, 2023, Brazilian President, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, issued Provisional Measure no. 1,167, postponing the definitive replacement of the 1993 Public Procurement Law (8,666/1993) for the New Public Procurement Law (14,133/2021) until December 30, 2023. Although the New Public Procurement Law has been in effect since April 1, 2021, its application would […]
Trench Rossi Watanabe announces six new partners
Bruno Duarte, Evaristo Lucena, Felipe Zaltman, Marcel Fracarolli Nunes, Silvia Bernardino and Telirio Saraiva will now take part in the Firm’s partnership. Evaristo Lucena, Marcel Fracarolli Nunes and Silvia Bernardino will integrate the Corporate & Finance practice board. They are focused on, respectively, capital markets, the contracts and real estate sector, and mergers and acquisitions. Telirio Saraiva will strengthen the […]
Brazilian Congress approves new public procurement law
On December 11, 2020 the Brazilian Senate finally approved the bill of a new public procurement general law, which will substitute Law nº 8,666/1993 (“New Public Procurement Law“), and will be applicable to public entities in Federal, State and Municipal levels. State controlled companies, however, will only be reached by the new definitions of crimes […]