Professional Experience (History and Position/Practice focus inside the firm and Professional Experience)
Flávia Allegro Gerola joined the firm in 2011. Flávia is a senior associate of the Tax Group, who focus her practice and coordinates Wealth Management area. She also works with tax planning and tax controversy.
Flavia worked as a foreign associate in the Chicago Office (2016) and in the Miami
Office (2017) of Ablfs & McKfnzif LLP, in the Tax Group and focusing her practice with the Wealth Management group.
Awards and Recognitions
In 2021 and 2022, Flávia was awarded “Associate to Watch” by Chambers and Partners, in the Private Wealth Law area.
The clients recognize her as: ” ‘absolutely a rising star in the Brazilian Market’ remarks a source, adding: ‘She is completely dedicated to clients and she is extremely detail oriented. If you need someone to look at everything on a matter, Flávia is your lawyer. She is super technical, very methodical and has a real eye for detail.’ Sources also praise her experience handling tax and succession planning matters for high net worth clients.”
In 2021 and 2020, Flávia was named “Rising Star” in the Wealth Management area by Legal 500. The clients indicated that: “Flavia Gerola listens very well, asks the poignant questions and established amazing rapport with clients. Her international experience, cultural and language skills separate her from her peers/competitors“.
In 2018, Flávia was awarded in the Thesis Competition of STEP Latam Conference, held in México City, for her article “The Use of Trusts and Fideicomissos in Latim America Jurisdictions”.
Flávia obtained her LL.M. (Masters of Laws) degree and Wealth Planner certificate from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (Chicago, 2016). Post Graduate Degree in Tax Law from Pontificia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (2012). Graduated from Pontificia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (2010).
Activities outside the office
Flávia was an Assistant Professor in the post graduation courses of Estate Planning and Taxation of Income and Services at Fundação Getúlio Vargas (Direito GV) from 2013 to 2015.
Flávia is a speaker in several events with highlight to:
- “Painel – Investimentos e Estruturas Societárias no Exterior” at IV Congresso Paranaense de Direito Empresarial – OAB/PR, October of 2021;
- “Tax Planning for Cross-border Families with a Focus on LatAm and Spain” organized by STEP USA e STEP Miami, February 2021;
- “12th Annual U.S. and Latim America Tax Practice Trends Conference – – American Bar Association” in the Wealth Management panel of American Bar Association Tax Conference in Miami – EUA, July 2019;
- Tax and Trust Conference, organized by Ablfs & McKfnzif, from 2016 to 2021, New York and Miami, EUA;
1. “Gift Tax consequences between Spouses of Different Citizenships”. Probate and Property Magazine – A publication of Real Estate, Trust and Estate Law Section ABA American Bar Association (2017)
2. “Regularização, no Regime Especial de Regularização Cambial e Tributária, de estruturas fiduciárias no exterior (Trusts) e offshores“: NEDER, Marcos Vinicius; GEROLA, Flávia Allegro. Regularização, no Regime Especial de Regularização Cambial e Tributária, de estruturas fiduciárias no exterior (trusts) e offshores. In: Instituto Brasileiro de Estudos Tributários, et al. (Org.). PRODIREITO: Direito Tributário: Programa de Atualização em Direito: Ciclo 3. Porto Alegre: Artmed Panamericana; 2017. p. 99-132. (Sistema de Educação Continuada a Distância, v. 2)
3. “The Use of Trusts and Fideicomissos in Latim America Jurisdictions”. Article awarded in the STEP Latam Conference, in October of 2018 (México City, México).
4. “A responsabilidade tributária das holdings familiares nos planejamentos sucessórios” em Co-autoria com Maria Rita Ferragut. Published at Conjur in 24.06.2020. https://www.conjur.com.br/2020-jun-24/feragut-gerola-holdings-familiares-planejamentos-sucessorios
5. “O tratamento tributário das partnerships (estruturas flow through) no Brasil” : NEDER, Marcos Vinicius; GEROLA, Flávia Allegro. Temas atuais em tributação internacional – Brasil 2020. São Paulo: Trench, Rossi e Watanabe Advogados. ISBN: 978-65-992030-0-8.
6. “Planejamento tributário e sucessório com ativos financeiros no exterior” co-authored with Thales Stucky. Published at JOTA in 13.10.2020. https://www.jota.info/opiniao-e-analise/colunas/coluna-do-carf/planejamento-tributario-ativos-financeiros-exterior-13102020
7. “Regimes de atração de ‘high-net-worth individuals’ e planejamento patrimonial para mudança de residência fiscal”: NOBREGA, Luciana; GEROLA, Flávia Allegro. In: Planejamento Patrimonial e Sucessório. Belo Horizonte: Editora Dialética, 2021.
Portuguese and English.
Representative matters and clients
Flávia coordinates and focuses her practice on Wealth Management area and private clients, their families and family offices. Flávia assist her clients structuring their inbound and outbound investments. Her practice includes: international estate planning, structuring real estate holding structures and Family holdings companies, preimmigration planning, expatriation planning, global exchange of information (FATCA, CRS), and other international tax planning matters. She also handles general tax planning and administrative tax litigation.
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Recognition: The Legal 500 Latin America 2024
Once again, our Firm has been featured in The Legal 500, one of the leading international directories focusing on legal research, involving the participation of clients and important market players. In the 2024 edition, we were recognized in 26 categories and had 61 lawyers mentioned. We had a total of 84 individual recognitions, 25 of […]
Chamber of Deputies approves Bill of Law that taxes investments abroad and Brazilian closed-end funds
In brief On October 25, 2023, in an Extraordinary Deliberative Session of the Plenary of the Chamber of Deputies, the Final Draft of Bill 4,173/23 (“PL”) was approved, which provides for the taxation of income earned by Brazilian individuals tax residents on financial investments, controlled entities and Trusts abroad, as well as the automatic taxation […]
Government sends Bill that proposes to tax income earned abroad by individuals resident in Brazil
On August 28, 2023, the federal government submitted to the National Congress the Bill of Law n. 4.173/2023 (“PL”) that provides for the taxation of income earned by individuals residing in the country in financial investments, controlled entities and trusts abroad. The content of the bill is similar to that presented in Provisional Measure 1,171/23 […]
Brazil: Provisional Measure No 1,184 – Taxation of financial aplications in investment funds
In brief On August 28, 2023, the Provisional Measure No. 1,184 (MP) was published, which provides for the taxation of investments in investment funds in Brazil. The MP enters into force on January 1, 2024, provided that the MP is converted into Law in 60 days, extendable for another 60 days. However, the articles proving […]