Luís Alberto Laboissière Ambrósio has more than 25 years of experience in financial law. He joined the Firm in 2015. He is a partner of the Corporate and Finance practice group. His work and expertise are focused on debt, both local and international. He has a wide breadth of experience in bank financing operations, capital market, project finance and debt restructuring, having participated in high profile cases.
He was the main legal advisor of Bank of America, the largest financial creditor in the Parmalat’s judicial recovery, which established several legal precedents, as well as for the International Finance Corporation – IFC, in respect of the first offer of debt securities in the Brazilian capital market by a multilateral organization. Luis Ambrósio frequently represents financial institutions and corporate clients in highly complex financial transactions.
Luis worked at Linklaters office in London, in the project finance department.
Awards and Recognitions
Luis Ambrósio has been recognized for his work in financial law by the main legal directories such as LACCA Thought Leaders, Chambers Latin America and Global, IFLR 1000 as “Notable practitioner”, LACCA Approved, Leaders League as “Highly recommended” and Latin Lawyer 250.
He graduated from the Faculty of Law of Largo de São Francisco, Universidade de São Paulo (USP) with a degree in Law.
Activities outside the office
In several occasions, Luis spoke at INSPER, by invitation of Prof. Marcel Reto, Ph.D, about shareholders’ agreement of companies investing in green field projects, and also abroad, speaking about project financing, sale of assets of companies under judicial reorganization and regulatory aspects of the financial sector and capital markets.
Representative matters and clients
– Advised the borrower on the renegotiation of the Credit Facility Agreement in the amount of R$ 660,000,000;
– Advised the borrower on the negotiation of Onlending Credit Facility Agreement entered into with a syndicate of banks in the total amount of R$ 600,000,000;
– Advised the foreign branch of a Brazilian financial institution, as lender, on the negotiation of a loan in the amount of up to US$ 102,500,000;
Local Capital Markets:
– Advised IFC in the first public offer of bonds in the Brazilian capital markets by a multilateral organization in the amount of R$ 200,000,000;
– Advised Odebrecht Agro in respect of the private issue of debentures in the amount of R$ 686,000,000;
– Advised Itaú BBA, as a leading coordinator, with respect to offering of debentures by an urban train operator company in the amount of R$ 300,000,000;
– Advised a company of the sugar and ethanol sector with respect to the issuance of Agrobusiness Certificates in the amount of R$ 399,000,000;
– Advised agribusiness company with respect to the issuance of Agribusiness Certificate of Credit Rights (CDCA ) backed by Rural Product Certificates (CPR-F) in the amount of R$ 330.000,00;
International Capital Markets:
– Advised the syndicate of banks (BNP Paribas, Morgan Stanley, Santander, Itaú, SMBC and Standard Chartered) as coordinators of the issuance of US$600,000,000 hybrid fixed rate notes;
– Advised Fibria Overseas Finance LTD., as Issuer, and Fibria Celulose S.A., as Guarantor, in respect of the issuance and public offering of green bonds, in the amount of US$700,000,000 5.500% Notes due 2027, guaranteed by the Guarantor on a senior unsecured basis;
– Advised Credit Suisse as coordinator of the issuance of securities abroad by Eletrobrás in the amount of US$ 1,750,000,000;
– Advised CESP on the offering of securities abroad denominated in reais in the amount of R$ 750,000,000;
– Advised Itaú BBA on the update of its US$ 2,000,000,000 Global Medium-Term Note Program.
– Advised Fibria Celulose in respect of the negotiation of construction contracts relating to the pulp mill plant located in Três Lagoas, Mato Grosso, a project of R$ 7,500,000,000, with a production capacity of 1,95 million tonnes of pulp per year.
– Advised Companhia Siderúrgica do Pecém (CSP) on the negotiation and execution of a Loan Agreement with a syndicate of nine international banks, leaded by Export-Import Bank of Korea (K-Exim), and insured by Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (K-Sure), in the amount of US$3,100,000,000, for the construction of a steel industrial plant, in the State of Ceará, Brazil;
– Advised Foz do Brasil on the financing sof a waste water treatment project for industrial use in the amount of R$ 326,732,000;
– Advised foreign fund on the financing of a copper-gold mine project in the State of Goiás in the amount of US$ 200,000,000;
– Advised Bank of America on the first judicial recovery carried out under Law No. 11.101, Parmalat, in the amount of US$ 1,000,000,000;
– Advised Odebrecht on the renegotiation of Brenco’s financial debts as a condition for the acquisition of control of Brenco in the amount of R$ 7,000,000,000;
– Advised Noble on the renegotiation of a company financial debt i as condition for the acquisition of control in the amount of R$ 2,000,000,000;
– Advised Blackstone, fund holding securities issued abroad, in respect of OGX’s debt restructuring in the amount of R$ 6,000,000,000.
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Brazil: Presidential Decree establishes the Brazilian Central Bank as the regulatory authority of virtual assets
In brief On June 14, 2023, the Presidential Decree No. 11,563 of June 13, 2023 (Decree No. 11,563/23) was published in the Official Gazette of the Federal Executive, regulating the Federal Law No. 14,478 of December 21, 2022 (Federal Law No. 14,478/23), which consists in the denominated “Legal Framework of Virtual Assets” in Brazil. In […]
Brazil: Deadline to register the Quarterly Declaration before Central Bank of Brazil (SCE-IED)
A reminder that due to the New Exchange Regulation only companies that receive foreign investments with total assets equal to or greater than R$ 300,000,000.00 (three hundred million reais) must comply with the Declaration of Economic and Financial Information by submitting their financial data, until the end of March, related to the base date of December 31, […]
Federal Senate approves the final text of the Legal Framework for Cryptoassets
In brief On November 29, 2022, the Plenary of the Federal Senate approved the final text of the Bill of Law (in Portuguese: Projeto de Lei – “PL”) No. 4,401/2021 (former PL No. 2,303/2015) in which the Deputy Expedito Netto (Brazilian Democratic Party-Rondônia) is the rapporteur. Currently, PL No. 4.401/2021 is in the processing final stage, which […]
Deadline to register Financial-Economic Information with Central Bank of Brazil (RDE-IED)
A reminder that until the end of September is the legal term for companies that receive foreign investment to comply with the Declaration of Economic and Financial Information by submitting their financial data, related to the base-date of June 30, 2022, in the Central Bank’s System, as per Resolution No. 3,844, of March 23, 2010, of […]