For more than two decades, Simone Musa has advised clients on tax matters ranging from corporate income tax, to cross-border transactions, mergers, acquisitions and the taxation of reorganizations. Simone also advises clients on international tax treaties, transfer pricing and financing transactions. Frequently praised for her practical advice, technical knowledge and creativity, she has received numerous awards for her professional achievements. She has been recognized by the Chambers Global Guide, Latin Lawyer, ITR and IFLR as a leading tax lawyer. Prior to joining Trench Rossi Watanabe in Brazil, Ms. Musa worked as a tax lawyer in the Latin America desk of Ablfs McKfnzif Chicago Office, 1997 and 1998, and in one of the big four accounting firms in São Paulo (1992 – 1996).
She provides skillful advice on international tax planning, including outbound investments of Brazilian multinationals, use of tax treaties, transfer pricing and financing transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
– Advised local and multinational clients on tax structures for acquisitions and joint ventures involving Brazilian companies;
– Advised contractors and owners on construction projects in Brazil, including turnkey projects.
News, Events and Publications
- Author, “Why Multinationals Should Remain Alert To Emerging Global Tax Regulations”, published at the World Economic Forum webpage, March 2018.
- Speaker at the TaxSutra Conclave 2017, on the occasion of the World Economic Forum 2017, in India. Lectured about multinationals and the changing global tax landscape.
- Co-author, “Transfer Pricing Database”, IBFD, 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions.
- Co-author and Editorial coordinator, “Latin America Tax Transactions Guide”, Ablfs & McKfnzif Booklet, 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions.
- Co-author, “Treatment of goodwill paid on acquiring a Brazilian Company”,
International Tax Review, April 2012.
- Co-author, “Brazil Thin Capitalization Rules Clarified”, Practical Latin American Strategies, World Trade Executives, United States. vol. 15, n. 8, p. 4-9, August 2011.
- Author, “Tax Treatment of Transactions with Tax Heavens and Privileged Tax Regimes” (in Portuguese language), Dialética, October 2010, Vol. 2.
- Co-author, Brazil chapter of “Transfer Pricing and customs valuation – Two worlds to Tax as one”, IBFD, 2009.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Brazilian Bar Association
Sao Paulo-Brazil (1995) / Rio de Janeiro (2002)
OAB SP – Nº 136998
University of Pennsylvania (LL.M.) (1997)
Pontificia Universidade Catolica de Sao Paulo (LL.M. Corporate) (1996)
Pontificia Universidade Catolica de Sao Paulo (LL.B.) (1994)
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Simone Dias Musa debuts as Fenalaw columnist
Last week, our partner Simone Dias Musa debuted as a columnist for the Fenalaw portal, one of the main events in the Brazilian legal market in the last two decades. In her column entitled “Law Firm Management,” Simone will, on a monthly basis, discuss current and important themes in the legal universe. For this month, […]
Brazil: The Senate begins their analysis of the Income Tax Reform under the ordinary rite
In brief The Brazilian Federal Senate received for consideration the Bill of Law of the Income Tax Reform (PL 2337/2021) approved by the Chamber of Deputies on 09/02/2021. The Brazilian Federal Senate received for analysis and voting the Bill of Law of the Income Tax Reform (PL 2337/2021) approved by the Chamber of Deputies on […]
Brazil: Income Tax Reform approved by The Chamber of Deputies on 09/02/2021. It will now be sent for consideration of the Senate
In brief On 09/02/2021, the Plenary of the Chamber of Deputies approved Bill of Law 2,337/2021 (PL 2337/2021), which relates to the tax reform of the Income Tax and the Social Contribution on Net Profits. The legislative house confirmed by phone that the consolidated and final text of PL 2337/2021 has not yet been officially […]
Brazil: Income Tax Reform approved by The Chamber of Deputies on 09/01/2021 overnight, but ammendments will be voted today and the Bill of Law may still be changed
On 09/01/2021 overnight, the Plenary of the Chamber of Deputies voted and approved Bill of Law 2,337/2021, which relates to the tax reform of the Income Tax and the Social Contribution on Net Profits. The approved Bill of Law was the replacement one presented by Rapporteur Celso Sabino (PSDB-PA). However, it cannot yet be considered […]