Tiago C. Vaitekunas Zapater joined the Firm in 2011 and became partner in 2016. He integrates the Dispute Resolution practice group, with focus on class actions, environmental litigation, product liability, internet litigation and complex litigation in general. Tiago C. Vaitekunas Zapater has a wide breadth of experience in environmental and urbanistic litigation.
Awards and Recognitions
Tiago C. Vaitekunas Zapater has been recognized for his work by the main legal directories such as LACCA Approved and Análise Advocacia 500.
He graduated from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo with a degree in Law and also holds a master’s degree in Collective Rights from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo and a PhD in Philosophy of Law from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo.
Activities outside the office
Mr. Tiago C. Vaitekunas Zapater teaches Environmental Law at Pontificia Universidade Católica de São Paulo Law School, as an Associate Professor. Guest lecturer of Environmental Law at the Postgraduate Studies of Environmental Law at COGEAE/PUC-SP. Guest lecturer of Environmental Law at the Postgraduate Studies Course at IBEMEC/SP. Visiting Professor of Philosophy of Law at Università degli Studi di Lecce (Unisalento), Italy.
Author/co-author of several books/articles, such as :
– “Reformas Processuais na Teoria dos Sistemas – certeza do direito e as decisões judiciais”, São Paulo: Juruá, 2016;
– “Prática do Direito Ambiental na Defesa dos Interesses de Empresas Privadas”, with Letícia Yumi Marques, São Paulo: Letras Jurídicas, 2019 (co-author and organizer);
– “Aspectos Controvertidos do Direito Ambiental – tutela material e tutela processual”, Fernando F. Rossi; Lúcio Delfino; Luiz Eduardo Ribeiro Mourão; Maurício Guetta. (Org.). Belo Horizonte: Fórum, 2013 (co-author);
“Responsabilidade Civil do Poluidor Indireto e do Cocausador do dano ambiental -observações e distinções sobre a solidariedade na obrigação de reparar o dano”. Article. In: Fernando F. Rossi; Lúcio Delfino; Luiz Eduardo Ribeiro Mourão; Maurício Guetta. (Org.). Aspectos Controvertidos do Direito Ambiental – tutela material e tutela processual. 1ed. Belo Horizonte: Fórum, 2013, v. 1, p. 339-372;
“Princípio da prevenção e princípio da precaução”. Article. Enciclopédia jurídica da PUC-SP. Celso Fernandes Campilongo, Alvaro de Azevedo Gonzaga e André Luiz Freire (coords.). Tomo: Direitos Difusos e Coletivos. Nelson Nery Jr., Georges Abboud, André Luiz Freire (coord. de tomo). 1. ed. São Paulo: Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, 2017. Availabe at: https://enciclopediajuridica.pucsp.br/verbete/356/edicao-1/principio-da-prevencao-e-principio-da-precaucao;
“Política Nacional da Biodiversidade. Enciclopédia jurídica da PUC-SP”. Article. Celso Fernandes Campilongo, Alvaro de Azevedo Gonzaga e André Luiz Freire (coords.). Tomo: Direitos Difusos e Coletivos. Nelson Nery Jr., Georges Abboud, André Luiz Freire (coord. de tomo). 1. ed. São Paulo: Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, 2017. Availble at: https://enciclopediajuridica.pucsp.br/verbete/331/edicao-1/politica-nacional-da-biodiversidade;
“Município não pode criar lei proibindo venda de lanches com brinquedos”. Article published by Revista Consultor Jurídico (São Paulo, Online), August 5th 2014;
“Não se pode admitir a proibição total da publicidade infantil”. Article published by Revista Consultor Jurídico (São Paulo, Online), April 11th 2014;
“Certeza do direito e os recursos repetitivos”. Article. Informativo Migalhas (São Paulo, Online), July 2nd 2013;
“Questionar Novo Código Florestal é retrocesso”. Article published by Revista Consultor Jurídico (São Paulo. Online), May 20th 2013.
Representative matters and clients
– Represents companies from the plastic sector and companies from food sector in class actions involving take-back policies and in negotiations with state and federal environmental authorities;
– Represents multinational oil company in class actions and private lawsuits claiming environmental damages related to oil spills and brownfields;
– Represents multinational industries in the main class actions discussing the cleanup of brownfields in urban area;
– Represents multinationals from food industry sector and from paper sector in lawsuits discussing the applicability of the forest code;
– Represents technology companies in lawsuits discussing damages caused by third-party content in apps;
– Represents technology companies in safety product liability class actions and private lawsuits; – Represents multinational from the energy field in complex litigation involving construction and infrastructure contracts.
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Brazil signs the Singapore Convention on Mediation
On June 4, 2021, Brazil signed the Singapore Convention on Mediation (the “Singapore Convention”), which provides a uniform framework for settlement agreements put in writing resulting from mediations entered in one of the contracting states. Under the Singapore Convention, a party can enforce such settlement agreements in the courts of any contracting state, provided that […]