Giovani Bruno Tomasoni joined the Firm in 2008 and became partner of the Environment, Consumer and Sustainability practice group in 2020. He practices with focus on Environment, Public Law, Energy, Forestry, and helps clients in the internalization of concepts such as sustainability, ESG, circular economy, environmental compliance, among others.
He worked in the NGO Minority Rights (London) in 2008 in the construction of the campaign ‘A show of hands’ about the impacts of climate change on world minorities.
Awards and Recognitions
Giovani Bruno Tomasoni has been recognized for his work in the environmental field by the main legal directories such as Chambers Latin America as “Associates to watch”, The Legal 500 as “Rising Star”, LACCA and Análise Advocacia in the environmental and oil & gas fields.
He graduated from Faculdade de Direito de São Bernardo do Campo with a degree in Law and from Pontifícia Unviersidade Católica São Paulo with specialization in Public Law. He also holds a master’s degree in Environmental Law from Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
Representative matters and clients
– Advising clients of the electronic sector in risk assessments connected to the implementation of new regulations, product liability matters, circular economy and EPR schemes.
– General advisory on the environmental field for industries such as Braskem, Bridgestone, Yara, Eaton, Mahle, Navistar, Parker, Merch, among others.
– Advising mining clients in addressing operational and licensing non-compliance matters.
– Assisting clients in the mining and oil & gas fields in climate change projects, REDD+ and sustainability.
– Participation in transactions of relevant energy projects to assess material risks connected to environmental matters.
– Assisting clients in legal due diligences and environmental compliance reviews.
– Risk assessments connected to the Biodiversity Law.
– Representing clients (specially multinational industries) in negotiations and definition of strategy to the case in collective contaminations such as CBB (Pará), Natureza (Santa Catarina), Mantovani (Sâo Paulo), Recobem (Paraná), among others.
– Advising one of the major national mining groups in socioeconomic matters connected to the presence of alleged traditional communities in areas of the company.
– Advising Plastivida and Braskem in matters connected to circular economy, design thinking and EPR schemes of packages and plastic.
– Advising Yamaha and Pepsico in take-back requirements matters.
Regulatory Ordinance establishes the modality Forest+Agro of the National Program of Payments for Environmental Services
In brief On 27 October 2021, the Regulatory Ordinance of the Ministry of Environment No. 487, dated 26 October 2021, was published. The ordinance establishes the category Forest+Agro under the National Program of Payments for Environmental Services – Forest+, which in turn was established by Ministry of Environment Ordinance No. 288 of 2 July 2020. […]
BRAZIL: Federal government launches Green Growth National Program
In brief A few days away from COP26, the federal government on 25 October 2021 launched the Green Growth National Program (PNCV). The program was coordinated by the Ministry of the Environment and the Ministry of the Economy, and seeks to align economic growth with sustainable development toward a green and low-carbon economy. The program […]
Municipality of Rio de Janeiro establishes its Municipal Consumer Code
In Brief The municipality of Rio de Janeiro published Law No. 7,023/2021, which establishes the Municipal Consumer Code (“Code“). More details The Code aims to define regulations regarding consumers’ defense and protection within the local sphere by defining the rules that must be observed in consumer relations. According to the new law, the Municipal Policy […]
The Ministry of the Environment institutes Forest+ Bioeconomy modality in the National Payments Program for Environmental Services
In Brief The Ministry of the Environment enacted Ordinance nº 414 of 2021, published in the Federal Official Gazette on 2 September 2021. The new ordinance institutes the Forest+ Bioeconomy modality, within the scope of Ordinance MMA nº 288 of 2020, which created the National Payment Program for Environmental Services – Forest+. More Details According […]