Giuliana Bonanno Schunck joined the Firm in 2000 as law clerk, became a lawyer in 2003 and became partner in 2016. She works in the civil and commercial litigation and advisory area, with experience in lawsuits involving contractual law, intellectual property, corporate, commercial and judicial recovery, bankruptcy and insolvency. Giuliana coordinates the issues of Family and Inheritance Law within the Dispute Resolution group and in conjunction with the interdisciplinary Wealth group. She works in strategic consultancy in pre-litigation in order to prevent and avoid litigation. She is also the co-coordinator of the Gender Affinity Group within the Office (one of the pillars of Fun and Inclusion).
Awards and Recognitions
Giuliana Bonanno Schunck has been recognized for her work in Litigation by Chambers and Partners in 2015 and 2016, LACCA Approved in Litigation, 2020 and 2021, The Legal 500 2018 in Bankruptcy and Judicial Reorganization and she was ranked as Rising Star by Leaders League 2018 in Judicial Reorganization.
She graduated from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo and has a “Latu Sensu” degree in Contract Law from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo. She also holds a master degree and a PhD in Civil Law from Universidade de Sao Paulo Law School.
Activities outside the office
Giuliana Schunck acts as a speaker at several events on contractual and procedural issues, as well as events on Diversity and Inclusion.
Author several books/articles, such as:
– Contratos de Longo Prazo e Dever de Cooperação, published by Almedina in 2016;
– A onerosidade excessiva superveniente no Código Civil – críticas e questões controvertidas, published by LTr in 2010;
– “Os impactos da covid-19 na desigualdade de gênero dentro dos lares” – article in partnership with Tricia Oliveira for Migalhas (2020) (co-author);
– “A Covid 19 nos tribunais : um laboratório do futuro” – article for O Estadão in partnership with Drs. Tiago Zapater and Lucas Carneiro (2020) (co-author);
– “COVID-19 pandemic increases force majeure and hardship claims in Brazil” – article for Global Arbitration News in partnership with Joaquim Muniz (2020) (co-author);
– “Onerosidade excessiva superveniente / teoria da imprevisão – revisão e resolução dos contratos por conta da Covid-19” – article for Migalhas (2020);
– Chapter about Financial Services Disputes at Get the Deal Through 2018, 2019 e 2020;
– Chapter about Securities Litigation at Get the Deal Through 2018 ;
– “Quase um ano do CPC e o negócio jurídico processual” – article published at Jota em 2017;
– “A venda internacional de mercadorias e o Brasil “ – article published at Jota in partnership with Mariana Conrado (2015) (co-author);
– “Terceiros podem ser responsabilizados pelo rompimento do contrato” – article in partnership with Vinicius Giron for Migalhas (2014) (co-author);
– “Terceiro cúmplice no rompimento de contrato” – article in partnership with Vinicius Giron for Valor Econômico (2014) (co-author);
– “Boa gestão de contratos evita custos desnecessários” – article for the website Consultor Jurídico (2013);
– “Internacionalização Econômica e o Direito Contratual Revista de Direito Privado” – article published at Revista do Direito Privado (2013);
– “Cláusulas de limitação e exoneração de responsabilidade e sua aplicação no Direito Civil e Empresarial” – article published at Revista de Direito Empresarial (2012);
– “Função Social do Contrato” – article published at Revista Visão Jurídica (2011).
Portuguese, English and Spanish.
Representative matters and clients
She has acted in lawsuits representing P&G, Oracle, Nestlé, Emerson, Bridgestone, Hasbro, Eaton, Libbs, Stolthaven, several Family Offices and other companies, including as advisor of creditors in judicial reorganization and insolvency cases.
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Brazil signs the Singapore Convention on Mediation
On June 4, 2021, Brazil signed the Singapore Convention on Mediation (the “Singapore Convention”), which provides a uniform framework for settlement agreements put in writing resulting from mediations entered in one of the contracting states. Under the Singapore Convention, a party can enforce such settlement agreements in the courts of any contracting state, provided that […]
Important decision issued by the State Court of São Paulo on enforcement of guarantees granted on behalf of companies under judicial reorganization
The State Court of Appeals of São Paulo has recently decided that creditors cannot try to collect amounts from the guarantors of a company that is under judicial reorganization. Until then, that Court understood that guarantees could not be reduced or released based on the filing of judicial reorganization lawsuits, unless the creditor who held […]