Maria Fernanda Furtado joined the Firm in 1996 and became a partner in 2006, leading the tax practice at the Rio de Janeiro office ever since. Acting on the oil and gas, mining and infrastructure industries, Maria Fernanda has a wide breadth of experience in international taxation, mergers and acquisitions and indirect taxes. Among her clients, we highlight Chevron, Queiroz Galvão, Fugro, EDF Renewables, Petrobras, Transocean, Seadrill, Schlumberger and Total Eren.
Awards and Recognitions
Maria Fernanda Furtado has been recognized for her work as a leading practioner in the Brazilian tax area by the International Tax Review and by The Legal 500.
She graduated from Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro with a degree in Law.
Activities outside the office
Maria Fernanda Furtado is a speaker in several courses, conferences and seminars, both in Brazil (promoted by IBC, ABAMEC, CEAD, IBEF and FIRJAN) and abroad (International Drilling Association, Energy Forum, Ablfs & McKfnzif Latin American Tax Conference) with an emphasis on oil and gas industry taxation, tax and indirect planning.
Author/co-author of several books/articles, such as:
– “Geração termoelétrica, crise Hídrica e o papel do Estado na concessão de incentivos fiscais” – co-author in the Article published by Brasil Energia Petróleo in 2018.
– “O Tratamento tributário do Cost Sharing Internacional no Brasil”, co-author in the Article published at the book “Current Issues in International Taxation”.
– “No Brazilian withholding income tax on technical service payments to the Netherlands” coauthor with com Henny Verboom and C. Lutter – IBFD Bulletin.
– “Porque é urgente e preciso” – Article published at the Anuário da Indústria de Petróleo in Rio de Janeiro – FIRJAN.
– Contribution to articles to the Tax Planning International Review and Gazeta Mercantil.
Representative matters and clients
– Advised local and multinational clients from various sectors, notably on the oil and gas, energy, entertainment and services industries.
– Acted for Transocean Ltd. in the transaction for the acquisition of OceanRig in the amount of US$ 2.7 Billion.
– Acted on Mitsubishi’s energy in Latin America in a $1.2 billion ($384 million) power purchase agreement (PPA) to build a new power plant in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Brazil: Supplementary Law # 192 – Introduction of single-stage ICMS tax regime and of PIS and COFINS zero rate transactions with fuels
In brief On March 11, 2022, Supplementary Law # 192 introduced the single-stage ICMS tax regime on transactions with fuels. This new law aims at reducing the final customer’s tax burden on transactions with the following fuels: gasoline; anhydrous ethanol fuel; diesel; biodiesel; liquefied petroleum gas; and natural gas. Moreover, Supplementary Law # 192 temporally […]
The State of Rio de Janeiro regulates tax incentives for thermoelectric power plants
On September 21, 2021, the Rio de Janeiro State Governor issued Decrees 47,767 and 47,768, ruling on the special tax treatment granted to legal entities or legal entities consortia developed or intend to develop power plant projects in the State. These incentives are summarized below: Decree 47,767 – Law 9.214/21 – Power Plant Projects Decree […]
Income Tax Reform stipulates an additional 1.5% rate for CFEM
Last Tuesday (08/03/2021), Congressman Celso Sabino (PSDB-PA) submitted an amendment to Bill of Law # 2,337/2021 (2nd phase of Tax Reform), putting forward a 1.5% increase in the Financial Compensation for the Exploration of Mineral Resources (“Compensação Financeira pela Exploração de Recursos Minerais” – CFEM) rate on iron, cooper, bauxite, gold, manganese, kaolin and nickel […]
Taxpayers have until August 31, 2021 to join the Special ICMS Installment Payment Program (Tax Amnesty Program) in Rio de Janeiro
On June 7, 2021, was published the Supplementary Law No. 191/2021, which internalizes ICMS Agreement (Convênio) 72/2021 and amends Supplementary Law No. 189/2020 to extend until August 31, 2021, the possibility for Rio de Janeiro taxpayers to enroll into the Special Program for Payment in Installment of Tax Credits (PEP-ICMS). The referred Amnesty Program allows […]