Maria Fernanda Furtado joined the Firm in 1996 and became a partner in 2006, leading the tax practice at the Rio de Janeiro office ever since. Acting on the oil and gas, mining and infrastructure industries, Maria Fernanda has a wide breadth of experience in international taxation, mergers and acquisitions and indirect taxes. Among her clients, we highlight Chevron, Queiroz Galvão, Fugro, EDF Renewables, Petrobras, Transocean, Seadrill, Schlumberger and Total Eren.
Awards and Recognitions
Maria Fernanda Furtado has been recognized for her work as a leading practioner in the Brazilian tax area by the International Tax Review and by The Legal 500.
She graduated from Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro with a degree in Law.
Activities outside the office
Maria Fernanda Furtado is a speaker in several courses, conferences and seminars, both in Brazil (promoted by IBC, ABAMEC, CEAD, IBEF and FIRJAN) and abroad (International Drilling Association, Energy Forum, Baker & Mckenzie Latin American Tax Conference) with an emphasis on oil and gas industry taxation, tax and indirect planning.
Author/co-author of several books/articles, such as:
- “No Brazilian withholding income tax on technical service payments to the Netherlands" coauthor with com Henny Verboom and C. Lutter - IBFD Bulletin.
- "Porque é urgente e preciso" - Article published at the Anuário da Indústria de Petróleo in Rio de Janeiro - FIRJAN.
- Contribution to articles to the Tax Planning International Review and Gazeta Mercantil.
Representative matters and clients
- Advised local and multinational clients from various sectors, notably on the oil and gas, energy, entertainment and services industries.
- Acted for Transocean Ltd. in the transaction for the acquisition of OceanRig in the amount of US$ 2.7 Billion.
- Acted on Mitsubishi's energy in Latin America in a $1.2 billion ($384 million) power purchase agreement (PPA) to build a new power plant in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
Rio de Janeiro State enacted a new Amne...
New Special Payment Program (“PEP”), as governed by Decree# 47.488, of February 12, 2021 On February 17, 2021, the State of Rio de Janeiro Governor enacted Decree # 47,488/21, launching a new Amnestry Program, the Special Payment Program (“PEP”), for the payment of tax debts related to the State VAT tax (“ICMS”), State Donations and […]
ORDINANCE COANA #85/2020 attributes bin...
On December 8th, 2020, Brazilian General Customs Coordination enacted Ordinance COANA #85/2020, approving the REPETRO-Sped e-Manual and stating that the REPETRO “Q&A” Section shall have binding effects over the customs tax authorities and the regime beneficiaries, when expressly provided. The e-Manual aims at providing general guidance on the regime rules , while the “Q&A” Guide […]
State Law # 8,926/2020: only legislativ...
The Rio de Janeiro State enacted yesterday State Law # 8,926/2020, prohibiting the creation of ICMS (state VAT) tax incentives through infralegal rules (e.g. executive branch decrees or state treasury office resolutions). State Law # 8,926/2020 states that ICMS tax incentives must be created through acts originated from the Legislative Branch (e.g. a law on […]
Reopening of the Tax Amnesty Program of...
On 11 May 2020, the municipality of Rio de Janeiro reopened its tax amnesty program called “Concilia Rio.” The program was created through Law # 5.854/2015 and offers taxpayers the possibility to renegotiate their municipal tax debts, including but not limited to services tax (“ISS”), real state tax (”IPTU”) debts, whether registered or not on […]