Maria Fernanda Furtado joined the Firm in 1996 and became a partner in 2006, leading the tax practice at the Rio de Janeiro office ever since. Acting on the oil and gas, mining and infrastructure industries, Maria Fernanda has a wide breadth of experience in international taxation, mergers and acquisitions and indirect taxes. Among her clients, we highlight Chevron, Queiroz Galvão, Fugro, EDF Renewables, Petrobras, Transocean, Seadrill, Schlumberger and Total Eren.
Awards and Recognitions
Maria Fernanda Furtado has been recognized for her work as a leading practioner in the Brazilian tax area by the International Tax Review and by The Legal 500.
She graduated from Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro with a degree in Law.
Activities outside the office
Maria Fernanda Furtado is a speaker in several courses, conferences and seminars, both in Brazil (promoted by IBC, ABAMEC, CEAD, IBEF and FIRJAN) and abroad (International Drilling Association, Energy Forum, Ablfs & McKfnzif Latin American Tax Conference) with an emphasis on oil and gas industry taxation, tax and indirect planning.
Author/co-author of several books/articles, such as:
– “Geração termoelétrica, crise Hídrica e o papel do Estado na concessão de incentivos fiscais” – co-author in the Article published by Brasil Energia Petróleo in 2018.
– “O Tratamento tributário do Cost Sharing Internacional no Brasil”, co-author in the Article published at the book “Current Issues in International Taxation”.
– “No Brazilian withholding income tax on technical service payments to the Netherlands” coauthor with com Henny Verboom and C. Lutter – IBFD Bulletin.
– “Porque é urgente e preciso” – Article published at the Anuário da Indústria de Petróleo in Rio de Janeiro – FIRJAN.
– Contribution to articles to the Tax Planning International Review and Gazeta Mercantil.
Representative matters and clients
– Advised local and multinational clients from various sectors, notably on the oil and gas, energy, entertainment and services industries.
– Acted for Transocean Ltd. in the transaction for the acquisition of OceanRig in the amount of US$ 2.7 Billion.
– Acted on Mitsubishi’s energy in Latin America in a $1.2 billion ($384 million) power purchase agreement (PPA) to build a new power plant in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
Trench Rossi Watanabe is awarded the CESA Gender Equality Seal
Trench Rossi Watanabe has received the CESA Gender Equity Seal in the highest category entitled “Highlight”. This award recognizes law firms that have solid Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, taking into consideration several fronts, such as internal commitment, strategic planning, communication and participation rate. With a female majority in leadership for years, this recognition reinforces […]
Chambers Brazil: Regions 2022
We share another excellent result for our team in Chambers and Partners Brazil, an important legal directory that provides a reading of the main players in the market. In the “Regions” guide released last week, we were recognized in four categories (Corporate/Commercial: Rio de Janeiro; Dispute Resolution: Rio de Janeiro; Tax: Rio de Janeiro; and […]
Rio de Janeiro State adjusts ICMS rates to Selectivity Principle
In brief New supplementary bill that, acknowledging the essentiality of referred activities, states that State VAT (ICMS) rates must not outweigh 18%. More details On July 1st, 2022, the Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro issued Decree No. 48,145, acknowledging the internal transactions and services with (i) fuels; (ii) electric power; (iii) telecommunications; […]
Brazil: Supplementary Law # 192 – Introduction of single-stage ICMS tax regime and of PIS and COFINS zero rate transactions with fuels
In brief On March 11, 2022, Supplementary Law # 192 introduced the single-stage ICMS tax regime on transactions with fuels. This new law aims at reducing the final customer’s tax burden on transactions with the following fuels: gasoline; anhydrous ethanol fuel; diesel; biodiesel; liquefied petroleum gas; and natural gas. Moreover, Supplementary Law # 192 temporally […]
The State of Rio de Janeiro regulates tax incentives for thermoelectric power plants
On September 21, 2021, the Rio de Janeiro State Governor issued Decrees 47,767 and 47,768, ruling on the special tax treatment granted to legal entities or legal entities consortia developed or intend to develop power plant projects in the State. These incentives are summarized below: Decree 47,767 – Law 9.214/21 – Power Plant Projects Decree […]